Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Caleb has arrived!!

As many of you know, our Grandson, Caleb Michael LaVoy, arrived ahead of schedule. This is a picture of Dad Nick; Mom Julie and a 30 minute old Caleb. Ahhh... he is so handsome!!
Caleb's arrival took everyone by surprise. He was due to enter into this world on or about May 2. Julie and Nick had been out to dinner when she felt something. After last week's braxton hicks contractions, they decided to go to the hospital to get checked out. Sure enough, her water had broken so they admitted her.

But he was not entering into this world quickly. He was obviously not quite as ready as he thought he should be. We think he stretched and "popped his bubble" with a hand, foot, elbow, finger????? Unsure but that didn't make any difference because it was a long night, long day and another long night until Caleb came into this world. 36 hours later, the exhausted parents and a sweet, little guy posed for this picture.

Caleb was born on Monday, April 5 at 5:38 am at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, Michigan. He weighted 5 lbs, 5 ozs and stretched out to 19 inches long. Because he was 4 weeks early, they had a NICU doctor check him out in the delivery room, Mom got to hold him and then he was whisked away to be thoroughly evaluated. His breathing was a little labored and his heart rate elevated, but not at all unusual for a little guy who is premature, so said the doctors. (full term is 37-41 weeks). He spent Monday in an incubator, with oxygen and some antibiotics running through him.

Meanwhile here in Oregon, we were impatiently waiting through Easter Vigil Mass to hear from MI. Then we wait all Sunday, checking with Greg (who was able to be there) for any and all updates. He said at one point "Mom, they are in a holding pattern. Things are moving along very slowly." Then another conversation was "Mrs. Chamberlain (Julie's Mom) just came back from checking on them and they are sleeping. How can they sleep through labor??"

We went to our friend's house for dinner and everyone got in on the excitement. We kept checking with Greg - now every two hours - this Mimi and Pipi were getting impatient. We returned home at 9 pm (12 am MI time) and let Greg know we were home and would have the phone by our bedside. He said he would call when he knew anything, he was at Nick & Julie's apartment resting. At 2:45 am (5:45 am MI time) we received a call saying "My phone is about to die but Caleb is here and screaming" . Then came the dial tone. Needless to say, we were ecstatic.

Nick then called us at 3:49 am to fill us in on all the news. He was so happy, Julie was fine, Caleb was good and they were all exhausted. One thing I did notice when talking to Julie for a brief few minutes, the smile and radiance of a new mom shown through her voice. I could just imagine how happy they were, how tired they felt and yet how in awe of what they had just gone through. They were now parents - WOW!!! A new experience in their lives. The Nick LaVoy household is now three.

So, Caleb is now about 36 hours old and is resting comfortably in the nursery. He is weaned off the oxygen although his breathing is still a little concern. He is on an iv of fluids and nutrition and still in the incubator. But, Mom and Dad are able to hold him more and he is getting stronger every day. Thank God for all of that.

So, our adventure begins as grandparents. We leave soon to visit our wee one and his parents. It has been an exciting time for us thus far. I hear many people say "you're lives will never be the same". I can almost imagine that and it has only been a few days. What the Lord has in store for us we may not know now, but I am sure that Caleb was brought into our lives to teach us something - probably patience for a start. Can't wait to find out. Can't wait to see him and hold him in my arms. Can't wait to hug Julie and express my love for her patience and all the work she has done so far. She is going to be a wonderful mother. Can't wait to see Nick, give him a big hug and share how proud of him we are. He is going to be a great dad. And Phil and I will be the best Pipi and Mimi we can be.

P.S. To my brother, John, Caleb is the most handsomest grandson in the world. :-)

5 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS TERI!!! I am so glad to hear that Caleb is hear safe and sound!!! You are in for such a treat when you first see him!!! Your life will change forever and love that you never knew you had will come overflowing from your heart!!! When do you get to see him?? Have fun!! Can't wait to see pictures of you holding him!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, your story made me tear up! How happy you sound. you Expressed what my mother probably felt when Benjamin was born.. her first Grandbaby.
    I am so happy for all of you. HUGE HUGS!

    ….I must add in here though, that Benjamin is pretty handsome himself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Debbie, for your wonderful comments. I cannot wait to hold him and will definitely send along pics when I return.

    Shell, of course Benjamin is pretty handsome. But, Uncle John and I have a banter going and I need to humble him whenever I can. Even Beth said not to let him get away with his comments. :-)

    So, we will just relish the time we have experienced thus far and hold our excitement in on the plane to MI in a week. But then, look out, we will be dancing in the street!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how exciting. I know this excitement. and wow. You don't know it all yet but I know you will know it next week. Then you will completely know a love you never knew before.
    I am so glad you are finally grandparents. It was worth the wait.
    Congrats to alll of you.
    Love, ginny the gg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!!! I can't wait to see a post with you holding your little guy! What an exciting and wonderful time for you all:)

    ReplyDelete