Thursday, October 1, 2009

Trip to the Coast and Mini Shop Hop

Recently, I received a gift card to Gradma's Attic down in Dallas, OR. If you look at an Oregon map, you will see it is straight down I-5 just west of Salem. Well, the only way I know how to get there is to go via the Coast. :-) Oh, ok, so it is not the easiest route, but it made for a wonderful two day excursion with Phil. An SOS (Save our Sanity) weekend. Enjoy our mini vacation.
n Sunday the sky was blue, the sun shining, windy and the views beautiful. As you can see, the crashing waves are trying to figure out which way to come in to the beach area.
We took a little time out to enjoy the view while having a Tillamook ice cream treat. Yummy!!
There were many items on the beach including this huge stump that someone thought would make a good evening fire on a cold night.
King of the log - Phil!!!!
We found not only logs and stumps, but shells and some neat rocks that made great skipping stones. However, the waves usually picked off the stone on the second skip.
A great sunset taken outside the Kyllo restaurant. (notice the beach hairdo - usually windblown).
Nothing like a West Coast sunset on the beach. Just beautiful and breathtaking.
Monday started our shop hop. The shop in Lincoln City, where we spent the night, had closed down so we had to head on to Newport to begin at Quilters Cove.
This is a fun looking pattern of hexagons to make flowers instead of going ahead with Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern. Just may have to add this to my stack of "gotta dos".
We then headed inland east toward Philomath. Our next stop was at JanniLou Creations (as seen on this window etching at the shop). This shop was formerly a theater and they showcase some of the items in their decor. They also have music playing from some Broadway hits.
This is just part of the backroom of the shop. There is more behind the quilts hanging up in the back, more on the side in the classrooms and some upstairs where there is also an apartment for retreats.
We then traveled north to Dallas and finally made it to Grandma's Attic. A wonderful little place with lots of fun fabric in the 1930 pallet.
I just had to check out all the merchandise. There was lots to see.
We then kept traveling north toward home and made another stop in McMinnville. Boersmas is a great shop that is huge. It is also home to Gammill long arm quilting machines, repairs or purchases. I left with a couple of pieces of wonderful wool for my next hand applique penny rug and candle mat projects.
We then went next door to Boersma's yarn shop. Here Headless Hannah and I had a nice visit and she hopes you will come back soon to check out our blog. :-) Thanks to my wonderful hubby for being a great travel companion and taking me exploring the shops and byways of Oregon. You're the bestest. :-}

2 comments:

  1. Oh how nice, I just love that stretch of the ocean. I hope I can see it again.
    We will have to make a trip.
    Thanks for sharing.
    ginn

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES ,and I would like to come with her! Looks like a nice time.Phil must have been worn out looking at all of that quilting stuff.:} I love that stump photo.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete