Monday, May 24, 2010

What have I been doing???

It has been a while since I blogged. I have been a little busy with Embroiderer's Guild of America (EGA); Home of the Brave project; Hugs project; $5 Quilt classes; 2010 Sandy Quilt Show; Wooly Wednesday Club; besides family life and watching the Chicago Blackhawks beat the San Jose Sharks. (Note: The Sharks deserved to lose as they beat the Detroit Red Wings in the playoff games. Enough said!). So, I am taking time to let you know a few things that I have been doing.

Embroiderer's Guild of America (EGA)
At the last EGA meeting, we were to have a beginning class on Brazilian Embroidery. I was not going to take the class (notice I said "was not") as I really don't need one more thing to do. However, almost everyone at the meeting was taking it and as my friend Patty said "You can just say you learned it...you don't have to do it ever again". The teacher had an additional kit prepared so I decided to join in.
Everyone began by preparing their fabric in the hoop and looking over their fibers.
We then looked over our instructions to learn the different techniques being taught: satin leaf stitch, stem stitch, bullion, cast-on bullion, couching, colonial knots. Doesn't seem to hard yet.
Patty had to transfer the technique into left handed terms.
Lisa shared her bullion with me. Now just to stitch it the right way so it lays like it is supposed to. We enjoyed the hour long class and left with some techniques mastered and homework to finish before our next lesson on June 14th.
$5 Quilt Class Updates
A few months ago, I told you I would share with you the blocks I am making for this year's $5 Quilt Class. This is Month three, a little tricky but so far my favorite.
Month Four is fairly simple with Half Square Triangles added to the center block.
Month Five is easy - a break before the next months block. I attended class last week and next month I have to do 8 blocks - all the same design. A little tricky in the technique but with chain piecing it should go fairly quickly. Need to do them tomorrow - going to see Caleb soon and want my homework done before I leave.
Wooly Wednesday Class
On May 12th I attended Wooly Wednesday Class with designer/instructor Debbie Busby of Wooden Spools Designs. We always have a great time sharing techniques, laughing and getting to meet new friends. Debbie has triplet granddaughters who are about 6 1/2 months old and we had a fun time sharing our Grandma stories.
This suitcase always has wonderful wools for us to choose from to do our projects. So much fun digging through to find just the right color.
Donna decided to do the blue flower May Basket but changed her flowers to red so they would look like berries.
Dixie chose the blue flower basket, daisy flowers and did them in purples.
I did my May Basket in the traditional pattern.
Donna and I pose with Debbie for our class picture. Thanks, Debbie for another fun Wooly Wednesday Class. See you next month.

The Great Red Truck

After Wooly Wednesday Class, we met at Becky's to do our sewing as she lives close by the Quilt Shop. Gordon had dropped Marilyn off at Becky's and when it was time to pick her up, he arrived in his spiffy Red Chevy truck. He rebuilt it with the help of a few friends a few years back and it is a beauty.
The outside as well as inside were immaculate.
Two "youngsters" going cruising in their '54 Red Chevy. Thanks for sharing it with us, Gordon. Hope to see it again when our husbands can drool over it as well.
So, that is it for now. I have lots to do before I leave for my trip to Michigan for Caleb's Baptism. Am looking forward to my "Mimi time" with him; seeing our sons/wives and my Mom. Going to be a wonderful beginning of summer.

3 comments:

  1. I am happy to see that you are doing the Wooly Wednesday club. I have finally signed up and will be at the morning class in June. I have been wanting to do it for some time and now have the time. Look forward to it and to meeting you.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle: Looking forward to meeting you as well. Thanks for following my blog. Always love to hear from followers. See you in June.

    ReplyDelete