Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Beach Quilting Retreat

After my trip to MI to see our new Grandson, Caleb, I returned home on Sunday in time to do laundry, iron, repack my suitcase and head to Ocean Park, WA to the beach. It was our annual quilting retreat and I was ready for some serious sewing, laughter and time with the ladies.
It didn't take us long to transform the living room area with our machines, project boxes, material and snacks for our week of sewing.
Becky and I had to help Donna shake up her quilt squares for Elizabeth's quilt top. The only way to do it was throw them in the air again and again.
We finally gathered them up and placed them in a bag so Donna could pick them out for the scrappy look.
Our deer friends were across the pond relaxing in the afternoon sun.
I am working on quilting my Wool Applique Flower Basket wallhanging. I plan to enter it in the upcoming Sandy Quilt Show.
We occasionally had to take a few minutes to rest our brains and get caught up on each other's lives.
Becky's blooming cala lily made a beautiful centerpiece for our table at meals.
If I wanted to talk to anyone on the phone, I had to either walk the street or sit in the middle of the yard to get a signal. No matter, it was always nice out when I had to use the phone.
On Thursday evening, we attended the Astor Street Opry Company's spring musical "Quilters" in Astoria. The building used to be an old laundry mat and they are transforming it into their playhouse. The Quilters is a story about Sarah coming west with her family and their hardships, successes and the many quilting experiences they had.
These ladies portrayed the daughters of Sarah and the quilt on the chair will be raffled off at the end of the play in May. Will I win it???
During intermission, they held a raffle of two baskets filles with Quilters t-shirts, stuffed animals, photographs taken by a local photographer, tickets to their next play, garden gloves, etc. Donna and I were the lucky winners. Thanks to all the people who didn't show up so our changes were great!!
Lou was able to attend this year and Steve came on Friday bringing their foster daughters with them. I was able to help feed Rayea -- getting some practice in for my next visit with Caleb.
While her sister was off helping Becky with her applique, Rayea was my buddy on the fireplace hearth. Thanks, Lou and Steve, for letting us help you with the girls.
We had to pose with ladles in our finished aprons.....no they were not used to cook in all week.
Our photographer husbands arrived on Friday just in time to take a group shot of all our projects: Cindy finished her quilt top; Marilyn wore her finished apron; Donna wore her finished apron, held her wool project and daughter's quilt top; Lou held her mended tutu and our program from the play; I held my finished wool project, pillow case and wore my apron; Becky held her finished pillow and two blocks from her quilt top; and Betty held her finished seagull quilt and granddaughter's quilt top. Thank you, ladies, for a wonderful week of laughter, conversation and lots of fun with you at the beach. God Bless you all.

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks beautiful and I love the aprons.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh How much fun can one girl have.
    ha. Glad you had a good time. Looks like
    fun with all the quilting girls.

    love, ginn

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!!! Love all the projects!!! You wool projects are wonderful!!! Would love to see it in person!!! Wooly Wednesday is on May 12 this month!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete