Monday, February 15, 2010

New $5 Quilt Project

I joined the $5 Quilt Project again this year. Wasn't going to...say that every year for the last few. But Phil liked this pattern so I am in again. Actually, it is not $5 to do the entire quilt. It is $5 to register; then $14.95 for the pattern booklet/box/insert pages; then you have to purchase your background, accents, focus, borders, backing and binding. You attend one meeting each month (mine is third Wed. at 6pm) and get one miss. Then you pay again when you miss the second, third, etc. time. But you receive the color and pattern for that month and if you don't miss, those items are free of charge. Needless to say, it is not $5 but I am not going to calculate it - - - you really don't want to know exactly how much it really is.

This year's quilt is called "A Season for Quilting" It has a big block in the middle, smaller blocks around and one in each corner. My color is the Autumn season... like I said earlier, Phil liked the pattern and color, so I begin. We are late in starting (usually start in November) so in January we were given the materials we purchased, the pattern for the first and second months and instructions on January 20th to complete the block below before this week when our block needs to be done and shown at class. Here is my finished block to begin sharing with you my quilt as it grows. This center piece is 24" square. We were told it is going to be a hard quilt so I took my time in reading the directions, pressing all my material and making sure to line things up accurately. Turned out pretty good. Stayed tuned to next month when I will share each block as we go along.

After I finished up my square, I made my dinner napkins. We are trying to be environmental conscious and not use paper napkins at all. I purchased some "fat" quarters in two different designs to go with my current placemats. They turned out well and match very close as I guessed at the color. One set is already in the wash after our Valentine dinner last night.
That's it for today. It is back to the usual Monday details... laundry, etc. Look for our "wall" posting soon.

2 comments:

  1. Do you guys sing "$5 QUILT PROJECT" to the tune of the Subway $5 footlong song while you're sewing this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAhhhh... no. But since I am at home, my music is on to something like Dancing Queen or something like that. :-)

    ReplyDelete